Thursday 9 February 2017

The Species list stands at 95 so far for 2017

View list Here



This blog replaces the posting that used to be on the KOS website sightings page.
If you would like to send any sightings to me for posting, you can at  martynwilson@talktalk.net

February 8th

My first trip to Stodmarsh since late October! I managed to hobble to the Reedbed Hide, finding a pair of Bullfinches along the way. A singing Cetti’s Warbler  was near the Hide, which gave good views of a Little Grebe, a pair of displaying Great Crested Grebes and a good scatter of Teal , Gadwall and Mallard. At least 4 Marsh Harriers kept me amused, and one really excellent male Hen Harrier crossed the lake from the Tower hide area.  I also managed to see a Bittern taking a leisurely flight towards the Cormorant Trees.  I pottered on to the Alder wood and went a little way in hoping for a few small birds, but only managed Green and GS woodpeckers and the usual tits , robin and singing Song Thrushes. A nice steady walk in site of the damp!!
(Norman McCanch)