Thursday 25 July 2013

Spotting the Deliberate Mistake


On my last post I told of the sighting of a Little Stint at Rye Harbour that walked close in front of the Stephen Denny hide, well although at the time I called Little Stint and the other birders in the hide seemed to be happy with what they were seeing I did suggest to Chiddy that maybe it wasn’t a Stint but, in fact, was maybe a Sanderling. Over the past few days and since posting the pictures I’ve re-looked at the photos and realised that there has been a mistake made and the bird is a summer plumaged Sanderling and not a Little Stint as first described. In my defence there is not a lot of Sanderling sightings on my Stour Valley patch, I have never seen one there, and all the Little Stints are a lot further out. Also I think this is the first time I have seen a summer plumage Sanderling as I am more used to the grey winter birds that I used to see around the Thanet coast when I lived in Broadstairs. Many apologies and a lesson to be learned in taking for granted what you see through a camera instead of using Binoculars and Telescope and doing some proper birding.

Sanderling

Sanderling

Sanderling