Sunday 15 July 2012

Wader Fall


 

On arrival at the Grove entrance this morning a Turtle Dove was purring from the Paddock side of the path but remained unseen and, was the only one of the day. A Whitethroat was scratching out a song as I walked the path to the Ramp with Cetti’s Warbler, Reed Warbler and Sedge Warblers all making more of a noise than yesterday. In front of the Ramp was almost dead although there were 6 Tufted Ducks and a Grey Heron but no Waders at all today, the female Garganey was still in the left hand corner. A Male Marsh Harrier passed along the back fields and a Little Egret was in the right hand pool and a Sand Martin was perched on a reed top in between me and the Egret. Feast hide was still birdless save a Grey Heron and a Common Tern and Harrison’s hide was even quieter but, n sooner had I entered a flock of 16 Redshanks flew past and I watched fly towards then drop onto the Water Meadows. I made my way quickly to the Water Meadows hoping it would be full of Waders passing singing Whitethroats, Blackcaps and Chiffchaff on the way. On arrival at the Water Meadows it was evident that there had been a small fall with 3 summer plumage Black-tailed Godwits present as well as the 16 Redshank and 3 Dunlin, 5 Greenshank, 36 Lapwing, 8 Green Sandpipers and 1 Wood Sandpiper. Whilst here I also saw another 6 Marsh Harriers including the 3 juveniles and 3 adult males, 10 Pied Wagtails (only one was an adult), 1 Canada Goose, 40 Teal, 2 more Grey Herons and 2 flyover Swifts.
Marsh Harrier juvenile

Marsh Harrier juvenile
After an hour I moved on to the Lake but the hoped for Terns etc were not present, just 4 Common Terns and a large gathering of hirrundines over Collard’s. Walking along the Lampen Wall and through the Alder Wood 2 Water Rails screamed out, 4 Jays were seen as well as 2 Green Woodpeckers and a few Bearded Tits heard.
Jay

Mallard duckling

Reed Warbler

Reed Warbler
Very little else was added for the rest of the journey except a Hobby when back along Harrison’s. After some time on the Ramp I went back to the Water Meadows but most of the Waders had shipped out except the Sandpipers and Redshanks, a single Black-tailed Skimmer allowed a few photos and while taking its picture Brendan came by. We chatted and birded for about an hour and a flock of at least 80 Black-headed Gulls alighted from the cut fields south of the Marsh hide path with most lying towards us and amongst these Brendan got on to a summer plumaged Mediterranean Gull.
Black-tailed Skimmer

adult Mediterranean Gull
The only addition at Restharrow on the way home was a Common Sandpiper and the Corn Bunting was showing well on the roadside fence posts.
Common Sandpiper

Corn Bunting

Corn Bunting
As I pulled into my drive when I got home I had the good fortune to see a Spitfire and a Hurricane displaying over my house before they flew inland, superb aircrafts.
Hurricane over my house

Spitfire over my house

Spitfire over my house